Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Weather Wins

So it seems the Northeast weather is going to push us right out of California too. In fact the weather is better in Seattle than it has been down here. We were lucky though, we got to Yosemite on a sunny afternoon before the clouds and rain started to move in. I was prepared to be underwhelmed by the sights and overwhelmed by the traffic. While the traffic lived up to my expectations, the park was amazing.

The Yosemite Valley is quite possibly one of the most amazing places I have ever seen on earth. The place was packed though, both with fat Americans and a full UN assembly of foreigners. Oh and every other person there was trying be the heir to Ansel Adams, taking fifty photos of the same squirrel and rock with their top of the line gear. We may have been guilty of this at times too though, so call this pot black.

We had to camp outside the park in the adjacent national forest in "dispersed camping." Which means alone out in the woods off a fire road. We actually loved it because A, it was free and B, there was no one else around us. That it oddly a rarity in camping sometimes. Just don't tell our grandparents because they are convinced we are going to be eaten by a bear.

Anyway, back to the weather. More cold rain moved in on us yesterday and is supposed to stick around in the Sierras for the next two days. So we are going to skip Sequoia National Park and instead go to where it's always hot and sunny, Death Valley.

I wish I could upload some photos, but I'm making a phone update from the less scenic central valley near Fresno. We'll try to get some up soon. I hate to leave you all with no photos, so here is what we are zooming past.


No comments:

Post a Comment