Friday, June 24, 2011

Confidential to San Antonio

The Riverwalk is nice.  I was actually quite surprised.  Running a stagnant body of water through your downtown makes it a little more humid, but it's still a nice strolling and people watching place.  The rest of your downtown though... kind of like Little Detroit.   

Seriously the Riverwalk is pretty and full of people even on a hot Wednesday night.  Sure it's full of tourist traps and terrible chain restaurants, but we're Americans, what else would you expect.  But head up to the surface of downtown and it's like you've wondered out onto the surface after the end of the world.  Blowing trash, empty surface parking lots, boarded up buildings, the only sign of life I saw was at a bus stop where someone was getting arrested.  It was like wondering behind the scenes at Disneyland.

Pretty!  No photos were allowed above grade.
I can tell having a downtown address in San Antonio is the kiss of death for a business, and after all this is Texas the land of wide open spaces right.  Who would want to be downtown, commie.  But can't you find of excess hipsters from Austin to live in some of the upper stories of some of these great buildings overlooking the river?  It's where I'd want to live if I was forced to live here.

No comments:

Post a Comment